How to Reset Windows XP Administrator Password
Lots of computer users think that they need to reinstall the system after forgetting the password to log into computer. Actually that's not the only way to help you out. The easiest and fastest way is to reset Windows XP password. It also can save you hundreds of dollars if you don't have a system reinstallation disk and need to purchase one for it.
PCUnlocker is a rescue utility that allows you to reset Windows XP user password offline from a bootable CD or USB drive, without knowing the current password. The following tutorial will walk you through the procedure to log into your Windows XP computer if you have forgotten your password.
1Create a Windows XP Password Reset Disk
- Click here to download and save the PCUnlocker self-extracting Zip file to a folder on your hard drive, then extract the ISO image file: pcunlocker.iso from it.
- Insert a blank CD or USB flash drive on your computer.
- Download and install the ISO2Disc utility, launch the program.
Click the Browse button to locate your ISO image file, then click the Start Burn button to burn the ISO image to your CD or USB flash drive.
2Change BIOS Settings
- Boot your Windows XP computer. When it is powered on, check the boot-screen for setup key (i.e. DELETE key, F8 key, F2 key) to enter BIOS Setup Utility.
Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab, then change the Boot Device Priority: Set 1st Boot Device to CDROM if you just created a bootable CD, or set 1st Boot Device to Removable Device if a bootable USB flash drive was created.
- Press F10 to save your changes. Now your computer is able to boot from CD or USB flash drive.
3Reset Windows XP Administrator Password
- Insert the newly burned CD or USB flash drive to your Windows XP computer, then reboot your computer.
Now the computer will boot from the password reset disk. Wait until the boot process is finished, you'll see the main window of the PCUnlocker utility.
- Simply select your Windows SAM registry hive if multiple operating systems have been installed on the computer, the program will list all Windows user accounts. Select the administrator account from the list, then click the Reset Password button to remove the Windows XP administrator password.
- Click the Restart button to reboot the computer, you are able to log into the administrator account without being asked for a password.
If you have a need, you can set a new password for your computer after getting into Windows XP system, but do set one that you can remember.