How to Reset Windows Password
Ever forgotten your Windows password and couldn't log in to your computer? It's a nightmare, but there is an easy way to get back in. In this tutorial, we will guide you through step-by-step procedure of resetting lost Windows administrator and user passwords. The process requires creating a bootable password reset CD or USB flash drive on an alternate PC, and then using it to boot your locked computer and reset your forgotten Windows password quickly.
1Burn a bootable CD or USB flash drive
Since you obviously can't get into your computer right now because you've forgotten the password, the following steps will need to be completed on another computer that you have full access to.
Download the full version of PCUnlocker via the link included in your order confirmation email. The downloaded file is a self-extracting .zip archive. Extract the zip file to a local folder and you'll get the pcunlocker.iso file.
- Insert a blank CD or a USB flash drive with at least 1GB of disk space into your computer.
- Next you have to download the ISO2Disc program by clicking this link, and then install it on your local PC.
Open up ISO2Disc. Click the Browse button to locate your ISO image file, then click the Start Burn button to burn the ISO image to your CD or USB flash drive.
2Boot your locked PC from CD or USB flash drive
- Insert the bootable CD or USB flash drive you just burned into your locked computer, then turn on or reboot your computer. When it is powered on, check the boot-screen for setup key (i.e. DELETE key, F8 key, F2 key) to enter BIOS Setup Utility.
Use the arrow keys to select the BOOT tab, then change the Boot Device Priority: Set 1st Boot Device to CD/DVD-ROM if you've created a bootable CD, or set 1st Boot Device to Removable Device if you want to boot from a password reset USB flash drive.
- Press F10 to save your changes. Now your computer will try to boot from CD or USB flash drive. If you still can't get your computer to boot from the CD/USB drive, please refer to this boot up troubleshooting guide.
3Reset Windows Admin/User Password
After booting from the CD or USB flash drive, the computer will load the WinPE operating system and then start the PCUnlocker utility.
- Simply select your Windows SAM registry hive for your Windows installation, the program will display all local user accounts existing in the SAM registry hive. If you need to reset Windows domain user password, please click on the "Reset Active Directory Password" option instead.
- Select a user account from the list, and then click on Reset Password button. The program will remove the existing Windows password and unlock/enable the user account in no time.
- Click on Restart button to reboot the computer and remove the CD/USB drive. You can then log back into your computer without a password.
So if you forgot the password to login to Windows system or get locked out of your PC, you can then follow this tutorial to reset lost Windows password with PCUnlocker Live CD or USB drive. It's also a good idea to create such a recovery disc before you forget your Windows password.